Sunday, July 30, 2006

Greetings!

What a great idea this is!

Here's my list:

1. Icarus
Although this is not actually a UFO but rather a WIP, I am listing it here because it is my first priority and really finishing it is a prophylactic if it is not to become a UFO. I need to knit the final row of the edging, do the bind-off, and block. I hope to finish it by Tuesday’s knitting group so I can hold it up at show-and-tell.

2. Linen Feather-and-Fan Shawl
I love the way this project looks, but it does not always feel so wonderful to knit. The linen yarn (coupled with my grandmother’s old and very slippery needles) is unforgiving and frustrating. I put it aside a couple of months ago with just another foot or so to knit. As soon as Icarus is finished, the next skein of Euroflax gets put into the ballwinder. The shawl will be my mother’s holiday present.

3. Irish Hiking Scarf
I recently started this as a car-and-meeting project but keep frowning at it and wondering if I shouldn’t just cast on something else. I love the looks of the scarf and know it will be perfect for my father for his holiday present, but I cannot imagine knitting it right now. (I am promising to work on it as the car-and-meeting project, not necessarily finish it before the next objects.)

4. Must Have Cardigan
I began this in March and quickly finished all the pieces and bought the buttons. Then I stuck it in my knitting basket because I chickened out of picking up all those stitches for the button band….

5. Blue Socks
I’ve finished one down to the grafting at the toes and the second down to the point to pick up stitches around the foot. They are knit with relatively large sock yarn on size 4 needles and I’m not crazy about the way they fit. The real reason I put them down, though, is that I dropped a DPN while car knitting. I’ve now replaced it, but I still haven’t picked up the sock….

6. Pi Shawl
This is the project that should be on the top. The reason it is now a UFO is pure fear. I’ve finished all the around-and-around and just have the lace edging to do—which I have tried several times and keep making mistakes and frogging the border. I started the Pi while my father was in surgery and it means a lot to me. (He’s currently going through radiation and chemo and ideally I could finish this project right as he’s finishing his treatments early this fall.)

7. Laura Ingalls shawl
A holiday present for a young friend. All it needs is a decision about bordering (fringe? plain?), having its ends sewn in, and a good block.

8. Birthday Bunnies in Ballarina Suits (both due in the early fall)--both have sweaters almost finished, shoes knit, wool stuffing bought, and tulle bought. Neither actually has a bunny.

9. Birthday Fairytale Mice (both due in the late fall)--both sets of two (for a total of four mice) with some of their clothes knit but without shirts and without mice.

And when at least some of these are done, I am allowed to cast on a new lace project, a new cable project, and my first colorwork project! Plus maybe a really quick bulky sweater, and of course more socks, and maybe some more fingerless mitts for holiday presents for friends. And of course, some hats and scarves made from my homespun. And, and....

My blog has pictures and history on these projects. Feel free to stop by!

Good luck to all the participants! We can do it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home