Monday, August 21, 2006

UFO Updates

Well.....I've hit several obstacles that have nearly derailed me from staying on track with UFO August. I was SO tempted to cast on for something new today after I hit my second UFO brick wall. What are the problems that nearly got me off course with my vow to ONLY work on UFO's for the month of August? Well first, last night, after working on 4 1/2 repeats of section 4 of Clapotis (that's 56 rows for those of you who haven't knit Clapotis before) I noticed that I had done the entire section WRONG. How? Because I just skimmed the directions and assumed that section 4 was the same as the previous sections and I only dropped one stitch on each row 8 instead of dropping TWO as directed. I couldn't believe my eyes when I finally decided to READ the directions! After realizing my mistake, I posted an S.O.S. on the Clapotis support group (Yahoo group) asking if there was ANYTHING that could be done short of frogging 56 rows back to the beginning of section 4. It appears that several other Clapotis'ers have done the exact same thing I did which immediately made me feel somewhat better, but only one had an alternate "fix". It dealt with clipping stitches (something I'd already entertained) and tying the ends back together, but after a little thought I decided that the best thing to do is just to frog.
Grrrrr.....

So while I was waiting for someone to respond to my S.O.S, I pulled out another UFO. This time it was the cute sweater from Easy Knitting magazine. I started this sweater so long ago and I did such a lousy job of the armhole decreases that I decided to frog back to the beginning of the armholes and reknit them. No problem -- I knit away on this sweater for an hour or two and had just completed the back when I looked at how much yarn I had left to complete the front, the cowl neck, and two sleeves. Since the back had used nearly an entire skein of yarn, and since I only had two skeins left (to complete said front, cowl, and two sleeves) I decided I may not make it. And naturally, this is a discontinued color (but of course!). So. I'm going to TRY to see if I can find ANY more yarn in this color before I cast on for the front.

It was at this time that I seriously considered just casting on for a simple pair of socks since the UFO's were being so uncooperative. But I dug my heels in and said no. I went BACK to the UFO pile and grabbed yet another UFO to work on. This time I chose my Easy Street Sweater and was able to finish the back in less than an hour. I've already cast on for the front and so far have not run into any "snags".

Please send positive UFO vibes my way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Good job sticking to the UFOs! I have a question - is swatching (but not casting on) for a new project "cheating"? If so I guess I broke the rules. I swatched some of my Brooks Farm Harmony last night for the Knitted Bodice KAL starting 9/1. My bad.

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home